It’s looking like it’s going to be a scorcher of a summer. I know, I know, I should not have uttered those words because now it will probably rain for the whole of summer. Actually, it is probably raining as you read this post. Just in case we do manage to have that glorious summer we have been promised I thought that I would share my top tips for exercising in summer. It can, believe it or not, get quite hot on Jersey and, therefore, I have to think about how to exercise sensibly when the sun is high in the sky!
14 Tips For Exercising In The Summer
- Plan your schedule for working out and check the weather forecast, then plan accordingly.
- Rise early and exercise when it is cooler. You are more likely to exercise if you get it done first thing. If it has been a hot day then the last thing you are going to want to do is go and exercise.
- Have a cold shower before you exercise. It will cool you down and leave you feeling energised.
- If you are planning on running outdoors then check your route. Does it offer enough shade?
- Make sure you have plenty of sun protection. Apply sun cream and wear a hat.
- Fluids. Make sure you take on water when exercising in the heat. You should also be drinking water all day.
- Listen to your body. Your body will have to work harder in the heat so don’t overdo it. You could wear a heart rate monitor so that you can keep a close eye on your heart rate.
- Wear loose and light coloured clothing to exercise in. This will reflect the heat away and help you feel cooler. You can also buy special t-shirts for running in that help with keeping you cool.
- If you are going running then choose routes where are plenty of other people. Also tell someone at home your route and what time you plan to be home. That way if you become poorly people should be aware.
- Summer isn’t the time to really push yourself with long workouts. You might want to split your workouts into two. So one early morning and one late evening.
- Head indoors. If it is too hot to do your workout outside then head indoors. Put on an exercise DVD, do a Be Better Fitness Training workout or find a nice air-conditioned gym, or perhaps a swim in the local pool.
- Perhaps mix up your exercise routine up a bit. In extreme heat do a more gentle exercise class. Find a local yoga class. In the summer you can often find ones on the beach or in the park.
- If you are running then during the summer it might be more sensible to just take it indoors and hit the treadmill in the gym.
- End your day with a family walk. Perhaps you haven’t been able to fit any exercise in all day and now you can’t face doing a workout. Put on your trainers and go for an evening walk with your family. It’s better than nothing!
- The most important thing when exercising in the summer is to be sensible and to always listen to your body. If you are in any way unsure about exercising in the summer then consult a doctor.
Do you work out? How do you find exercising in the summer?
Pin for later:
Disclaimer – please be aware that Be Better Fitness Training gifted me my membership in return for my honest review