When we lived in England we had a garden that wrapped round three sides of our house. It was glorious. We could sit out on our decking and look down the hill and across to the moors. Then we upped sticks and moved to Jersey. Now instead of moors on our doorstep we have beaches and whilst I miss the moors I have to confess to loving the beaches. But I do really miss having a garden. In Yorkshire we were lucky enough to be able to afford a decent sized house with a nice garden. In Jersey properties are much more expensive and you have to make a compromise somewhere and more often than not it is the garden. Houses with gardens come at a premium in Jersey.
Our house does have a little outside space. A small patio to the front of the house and then on the top floor a balcony to the master bedroom. These rainy months have left me craving greenery so I have been thinking about what I can do to invite some greens into our very small patio. Here are my ideas;
- Containers. Create my own little mini gardens in lots of different containers. I could even try growing vegetables and salads.
- Bamboo. Planted in pots this could be used to create some greenery and make the patio feel more private.
- Herbs. I used to keep herbs on the windowsill in Yorkshire and I found it relatively simple. A herb garden would smell nice, be useful and make a nice welcome to guests coming to the front door.
- Edible flowers. They would look pretty and I could also add them to my salads!
- Hanging planters for the wall round the patio. Would make the ugly wall look nicer.
- Vertical planting. Use some trellis on the wall to grow plants up.
What do you think of my ideas so far? Do “yew” have any good ideas that might help?
If you are looking for any ideas for a patio garden then make sure you check out my pinterest board.