Exercising is my me time and since I have stopped exercising over the past month I have noticed a real difference, not only in my slowly expanding waistband but also in my general wellbeing. This has got me thinking about all of the different reasons for exercising;
- It increases our ability to relax. If you are like me then you will find it hard to switch off and sit still. Working out can help with this. It also helps with us getting a better nights sleep.
- It makes you more productive. If I am struggling to meet a writing deadline then I get outside and I walk. Sometimes getting outside in some fresh air is all I need and I come back to my desk feeling more energised.
- When I’m not exercising I find that my anxiety levels increase and this isn’t a coincidence. Studies have shown that exercise really does help us feel less anxious.
- It makes us happy! Yes, exercise releases the same chemicals as eating a chocolate bar does but without the calories.
- It makes us less stressed. Yes, next time you have a bad day don’t reach for the wine. Instead you should get those trainers on because exercising can help us reduce our stress levels and also how we react to stress in the future.
Those are just my top 5 but there are many more reasons we should all be exercising. Why do you exercise? Do you find that exercise is good for your mental wellbeing?